Your outdoor living space should be a relaxing place where you, your family, and your friends can spend time together, enjoy food, and share stories. That is why you want to make it a lively and beautiful place. To make it a bit personal, you’ve probably already thought of building your furniture by yourself. As tough as it may seem, building your own outdoor furniture is not impossible. In this article, you’ll learn some tips for building it.
1 – Choose The Right Wood Material
Choosing wood for your outdoor furniture will be the first step. You will want to select a very durable, yet inexpensive type of wood. Take a look at your options:
- Cedar is often a good choice as it’s one of the strongest among the choices.
2 – Treat The Wood
Weather is also a factor in building your furniture. Cedar, like pine, can be damaged by strong, dry, and windy weather. Wood should be treated with a weather-resistant oil before placing it outside. Doing this will keep the wood from rotting, and preserve your furniture.
3 – Consider Building Pre-Assembled Outdoor Furniture
Some homeowners prefer to buy pre-assembled outdoor furniture. These products come with a variety of pieces. It is best to purchase these products if you plan on assembling the pieces on your own. For instance, online lawn furniture like glider swings usually come pre-assembled.
If you do not purchase it pre-assembled, don’t forget to check out stores that specialize in home furnishings. These stores offer great deals on outdoor furniture. Stores that deal with outdoor furnishings often have some great deals.
4 – Check Available Outdoor Furniture Plans
Some books and programs are written for those who are interested in building their plans for a garden furniture project. These programs will give you everything you need to start building your outdoor furniture without any problem. You can take these resources with you to your local building supply store or hardware store when buying tools and supplies.
Here are the following examples of outdoor furniture projects you might want to try:
- Pallet planters for your seedlings and flowering plants
- Deck tables and chairs made of bamboo, pallets, or other recyclable materials
- Storage boxes and sheds made of savaged plywood
5 – Buy High-Quality Building Materials And Tools From Reputable Suppliers
Another thing you need to keep in mind when learning how to build outdoor furniture is buying items from the right supplier. The last thing you want is to end up having to replace expensive pieces due to poor craftsmanship. Always read through the guarantee and inspect the item for defects before purchasing. If you want to go for a do-it-yourself approach, you will need to make sure you are getting a quality set of power tools and hardware materials.
It is always a good idea to purchase quality wood and building supplies as well. The reason is that you can’t spend money on low-quality supplies and have a bad product. A good supplier will make sure you get the best value for your money.
Take a look at some helpful tips when buying building materials online:
- Check customer reviews
- Compare prices
- Read the listing very carefully
Why Build Your Outdoor Furniture
Whether you are a first-time home buyer or an experienced homeowner, the fact is that your outdoor furniture makes your garden a relaxing haven. If you enjoy gardening, having a great outdoor view and furniture will help inspire your passion. There are several reasons why you should consider building your outdoor furniture.
- Save Money: One reason that you should build your outdoor furniture is because you can save money on labor. Instead of paying for a contractor, whose fee is on top of all the expenses for the materials, you can use that budget to either buy better materials than you intended to. You could also use that saved money to fund other projects, or simply save them up for rainy days. Either way, there’s no downside to saving money.
- Use Different Materials: If the decision is all up to you, you get the option to mix-and-match materials. As long as you do thorough research, you can explore different materials until you find the one that suits you best.
- Customize: When building your furniture, you can customize the looks of outdoor chairs, tables, fire pits, swings, lounges, etc. to match the style of your home.
When building outdoor furniture, make sure to source the best materials and tools you need. You want to build furniture pieces that will last for a long time, withstanding extreme temperatures and seasonal changes.